OPEN CALL for Hosting the International Degrowth Conference(s) (expected in 2022 or 2023)
We are open to different formats, such as regional, online, partially online or thematic conferences.
In the midst of intensifying environmental and socio-economic crises reinforced by the current coronavirus pandemic, the deepening and broadening of the degrowth thought and practice is more relevant than ever.
In this open call, we invite expressions of interest from parties who wish to organize the next International Conference(s) on Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability and Social Equity. Apart from hosting the next International Conference(s) (expected in 2022 or 2023), we are open to different formats and proposals, such as hosting a regional or online conference, or an international thematic conference (e.g. refugees and degrowth, or feminisms and degrowth,…). We encourage local organizing committees to consider hybrid formats, which combine a “live” in-person event at a physical location with a “virtual” online component for remote attendees.
If you are interested, please:
- Send us an expression of interest by October 31st 2020, with a 1-2 page tentative proposal. Please send your proposal to: email@example.com
- Submit your complete 5-10 page proposal by January 31st 2021. Please send your proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ideally, if you intend to apply, please let us know so in advance (even before October 2020), so that – in case there are any updates – we can easily let you know. The call for conferences is always open. Therefore, apart from these dates, anyone is always welcome to submit proposals to us at any time. However, in our experience, these events need to be planned well in advance, normally two years ahead.
For more information, please see:
• List of requirements and suggestions.
In 2020 the following online degrowth-related events are taking place:
• – The International Conference “Degrowth Vienna 2020 – Strategies for Social-Ecological Transformation” (May 29 – June 1).
• – A symposium specifically focused on the implications of COVID-19 for ecological economics and degrowth, at the time of the formerly announced 7th conference in Manchester (September 2020; See here).
For 2021 following physical/hybrid conferences are planned, and will in autumn 2020 update the community on the appropriate calls for participation:
– a Joint International Conference with Ecological Economics, originally announced as the 7th Degrowth / 16th ISEE International Society for Ecological Economics Conference, with a clear thematic focus on ecological economics (Manchester, July 2021); and
– the 8th International Conference on Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability and Social Equity, hosted by a range of diverse degrowth actors from the Netherlands, with a broad thematic focus aiming to expand the frontiers of degrowth research and activism (Den Haag, August 24-28 2021).
We are looking forward to receiving your proposals, and working on them together.
The Support Group, degrowth.info
Research & Degrowth (R&D), degrowth.org