Degrowth Conferences in 2020 & 2021
The rhythm of the international degrowth gatherings and discussions in 2020 and 2021 adapts to present circumstances.
In 2020, three degrowth-related events were held online:
– The International Conference “Degrowth Vienna 2020 – Strategies for Social-Ecological Transformation” (May 29 – June 1; See here). You can watch all the sessions in our library, by searching “Degrowth Vienna 2020”.
Speakers included Susan Paulson, Juliet Schor and Miriam Lang. A hundred academic, activist, and artistic sessions and workshops were held.
– The Degrowth Summer Schools in the UK and Barcelona were postponed, and instead were organised the Degrowth talks (29 April – 27 May). Watch them here.
– A symposium specifically focused on the implications of Covid19 for ecological economics and degrowth, was held at the time of the formerly announced 7th conference in Manchester (September 2020; See here).
In 2021, compatibly with the constantly changing travel regulations, we encourage you to consider either physical or remote participation in:
– a Joint International Conference with Ecological Economics, originally announced as the 7th Degrowth / 16th ISEE International Society for Ecological Economics Conference, with a clear thematic focus on ecological economics (Manchester, July 2021); and
– the 8th International Conference on Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability and Social Equity, hosted by a range of diverse degrowth actors from the Netherlands, with a broad thematic focus aiming to expand the frontiers of degrowth research and activism (The Hague, 24-28 August 2021). See here.
After the first edition in Christiania, Copenhagen, in 2018 prior to the Malmö 6th conference, we will support the organisation of the second Pre-conference International Meeting of the Degrowth Movement in The Hague immediately before the 8th International Degrowth Conference.
The Support Group understands that, in changing global scenarios, our conferences might change from what we have been used to so far. Your proposals and suggestions are welcome.
We won’t get back to normal because normal was the problem. Keep up the fight!
The Support Group
of the International Conferences on Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability & Social Equity